I know it's been a while since I've updated this blog. I can't believe how busy we've been and how fast the time is going by! I hope the Math Parent Letters and Fundations Unit letters have been helpful. Not only do they let you know what we are doing in class, they also contain suggestions for helping your child at home both with homework, and with ideas on how to apply the math concepts we are learning in class to your child's everyday life!
A few important dates:
Friday, March 20th - Report Cards will be sent home with your child
Monday, March 23 - Half Student Day/Half Conference Day
Monday, March 23rd and 24th - Red Clover Days!
Literacy
For Reading we have been reading both expository text and Informational text. As a class we explored Non-fiction text and noticed text features and the purpose of those features. We noticed that many informational books have a Table of Contents, lots of photographs with captions and labels, Headings, Diagrams, Graphs, Bolded words, a Glossary and even questions at the end to check for comprehension! We used what we noticed as we started writing our own Teaching books at writing time. We learned how to add those features to our own Teaching Books! The students have written many teaching books over the past six weeks. We now beginning to wrap up our unit on writing Teaching Books. For a celebration, students will be sharing their books with another class this time and then leaving their books in our classroom for others to read. Eventually, the books will be sent home for your child to share with you!
Science - Force and Motion
The essential questions for this unit are:
- How can we describe an object's motion
- How d non-living objects move?
- How do I make a fair science experiment