Friday, April 3, 2015

April Showers Bring May Flowers

We can only hope that spring is here!  
(I guess not, I just checked the weather report)

Just a reminder that until the snow is totally gone from the playground, that students should be bringing snow pants and boots to school.  


A Few Notes:

Friday, April 10 - Thursday, April 16 - Artist In Residence - The Taiko Drummers are coming!  
Thursday, April 16th - Artist In Residence Performance
Friday, April 10th - I will be out of the building for a district writing meeting.
April 20 - 24th - Spring vacation

Monday Afternoon Crafternoon
This week we made baskets!







Literacy
Reading - Students continue to meet in small reading groups to practice accuracy and fluency.  Our whole class lessons are focusing on making text to self and text to text connections.  These connections help us understand what we are reading.  Students learned that they can use their schema (ask your child what that means!), and clues from the text to infer.  We will continue working on inferencing as we are reading.
Writing - We finished up our Teaching Books this week.  Students revised, edited, and polished their pictures before binding their books.  Next week we hope to share our Teaching books with another class. I will then send all of your child's practice pieces home.
Our next writing units are Writing Reviews (gr 1) and Writing About Reading (gr 2).  More info to come next week!
Spelling - Please see the letters sent home with your child's homework for information on spelling.


Math 
Mrs Byers and I will be switching Math groups on Monday. She will now have the first graders and I will be working with the second graders.